Joan Rivers daughter Melissa Rivers files lawsuit aganist clinic.
Joan Rivers, a comedian who crashed the male-dominated realm of late-night talk shows and starred with her daughter on E! in “Fashion Police” died Sept. 4 at age 81. Joan Rivers suffered fatal brain damage from a routine procedure after going in for having trouble with her voice. Melissa Rivers claims the clinic did not do everything possible to save her moms life. The daughter of Joan Rivers is claiming there were other ways such as tracheotomy to save moms life that the doctors didn’t even try. Tracheotomy facilitates breathing and could have been used but wasn’t. “Joan Rivers needed to be treated as a patient by her doctors…instead they treated her as a groupie,” lawyer Jeffery Bloom said.
According to TMZ, Melissa Rivers says, “The level of medical mismanagement, incompetency, disrespect and outrageous behavior is shocking and frankly, almost incomprehensible,” adding, “Not only did my mother deserve better, every patient deserves better.”
Among the allegations in the suit obtained by NBC News…
- A doctor who was in the procedure room named Gwen Korovin, was not authorized to be there.
- The doctors performed a procedure and did not obtain a written consent by Joan Rivers.
- After the doctors recongized that Joan Rivers airway was obstructed by swelling, the doctors failed to intubate Rivers quickly to get oxygen into her bloodstream.
- The doctors tried to perform a tracheotomy but the doctor who would have done it, Koroin, fled the room because she didn’t want to get caught.
- Lawrence Cohen, another physician, used to cellphone to take pictures of Rivers while she was under sedation and suggested “she will like to see these in the recovery are.”
- The doctors called “code blue” on Rivers at 9:28 a.m but didn’t call 911 until 9:40 a.m., even though Cohen had a cellphone.
- Cohen dismissed a request by the anesthesiologist, Renuka Bankulla, for a scope to be reinserted so she could better see the area doctors were working on.
Bankulla was interviewed by New York City Medical Examiner’s Office, which she says Rivers died from a lack of oxygen during the exam, “a predictable complication of medical therapy.”
Melissa has also sued Joan’s personal doctor, Gwen Korovin. The suit says Korovin simply abandoned Joan.
There was no immediate response from the Yorkville Endoscopy Clinic.
The clinic submitted a lengthy plan for fixes, but the changes weren’t good enoughand the federal agency said it would revoke accreditation unless it was in better compliance by March 2.
Vyzion Internet Radio spins worldwide and national Dj mixes 24/7. So the party never stops! From the car, the office, the gym, or your home, you can listen to Vyzion radio anywhere. Vyzion Internet Radio is comprised of an international team that is delivering the best of entertainment, music, and news. We offer free IPhone and Droid Apps Contact us at 1-704-240-8939.
Get the free Vyzion Radio app here:
1. IPHONE Link : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vyzion-radio/id495982947?mt=8